Skip to main content

Dia de los Muertos





My students have done a beautiful sculpture (photo above) for El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead). It has painted paper mache skulls with tissue paper marigolds and other flowers.
In Mexico, in other Latin countries and now, in some parts of the United States, people remember and celebrate the life of their loved ones that have past away--November 2nd and 3rd. The celebration includes music, dance, and visual arts.
Photos from other schools are below. Enjoy!
The work above was created by a senior in one of our high schools. Her ceramic sculptures were oohed and ahhed by all. It was brilliant, festive, and perfect for the celebration. I hope to see more of her work in the future.

Our Day of the Dead Sculpture along with other fabulous works from students throughout the Oklahoma City Public schools is being exhibited at the Gold Dome in Oklahoma City (1112 NW 23rd St.). The gallery is open to the public. I hope you will go by and view the works.

Comments

  1. great work! i love the colors, so live and vibrant. black halloween is so boring, i like this approach and interpretation, and heritage better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Dia de los Muertos! Such vivid colors and such and important thing to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome! I used to work for a National Art College, and would regularly visit high school art rooms. I loved it so much. I miss it terribly. Your students' work is so alive even if if it signifies the day of the dead~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Dia de los Muertos celebration photographs. I had to check your information, I thought you were here in California, but I guess Dia de los Muertos celebrations are popular all over the US. I found you by clicking on Eugene Wangs blog. Beautiful! I can't wait to celebrate on the 7th in the bay area. Thank you, Elizabeth Sanchez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roses, Chickens, and Bees

My heart is filled with all your inspirational words. Thank you for the happy e-mails, the wonderful advice and sharing of resources, and your kindness and support all around.

I've found that simplifying my life can be complicated and messy at first, but I am getting into the swing of things and finding my way around raising chickens, keeping bees, organic gardening and teaching art.

During winter break, I started my coop plans--all the things coops had to have and the best way to build it so that that it would not be something my neighbors would mind seeing as they step outside their houses. I must add that I have the BEST neighbors in the world.

I bought chickens in March and by April, they were ready to be outside of the brooder I had built them. So, the coop started to go up. About three weeks (most of it during Spring break and then a couple of weekends following), half of a pinkie nail, and five hundred dollars later, my coop was finished and the chickens seemed to have made th…

Summer Slowing Down

The fig trees finally decided to give fruit... and did they ever!!! The loveliest of blues, purples and reds.... absolutely in love.

On Gold and Silver