Skip to main content

Artists Supporting Artists

I have decided this year that if I cannot make or paint something as a gift for a loved one, I will purchase the gift from another artist. Most of us seem to be some what starving artists, but there is a lot of wonderful art work at affordable prices that can be a perfect start or addintion to a loved one's art collection.

Check out your local galleries for gifts before hitting those huge "everyone has one" retail stores. There are also lots of sites (you can find some on "my favorite links" on the right) where artists sell one-of-kind Daily Paintings. They are generally small, but most are painted by professional artists and have great designs--new and old, that would be perfect for any individual's taste.

Recently Alexia and I visited an art glass gallery here in Oklahoma City. Their glass work is amazing, and yet it surprised me that the prices were more than fair. Any of them would make a special wedding present-definitely not another toaster. Paseo Pottery also has beautiful vases made by several diferent artists, so you will find that perfect gift.

We all have artists in our communities who we admire and whose work inspire us in many ways. Let's support those artists and at the same time make our creative community a stronger one. Happy art hunting.

Comments

  1. Good suggestion. I have tried to do this for baby shower and wedding shower gifts. Last year I found the sweetest baby ensemble hand-crafted at a craft bazaar. Even though I hadn't made it, I felt good given it as a gift since I knew it had been lovingly made by someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know. I think I am going to adhere to this, also. What says you love someone more than giving them a gift that comes with a story? Thanks for giving me the reminder that I needed!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, I saw the page with enthusiasm, and sends a reply, Michael Greece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful plan! I've been trying to do that since the first of the year and it's a great feeling giving gifts that are unique and hand crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Carolina Elizabeth, I'm sending the Passionate Painting award your way....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thoughts... thanks for checking me out too... I look forward to inspiring one-another :) I love your encourageing idea of buying from and promoting other artists!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labor of Love

Sunflowers in Cobalt Blue Vase,   Oil on 5 "x7"   Linen Panel SOLD  Private Collection in San Saba, TX First, I must say that everything I paint is because I absolutely love. I don't like to paint things that I don't find to be attractive to me for one reason or another. Sometimes it's sentimental reasons and other times it's as simple as beautiful colors or the texture. Either way, it's something that I want to capture and stare at for long periods of time. I want to study it and how it affects the environment around it, as in the case of Sunflowers in Cobalt Blue Vase does. In that respect, I feel ALL my paintings are a labor of love.  More often than not, I have to create a painting, wipe it all down, and start all over again if something is just not working. Some never get completed and I just end up painting something totally different on that panel. Then there are some, that I just have to paint, no matter how much trouble they are giving

Summer Paintings

Chanel Book with Roses, 6"x8" Oil on linen Panel S OLD Private Collection in  Pearland, TX Raspberries in Blue and White Bowl, 6"x6" Oil on linen Panel Click here to bid on available paintings.  Seashell with Blue Feather, 5"x7" Oil on linen Panel S OLD Private Collection in  College Station, TX  

The Apple Tree that Could

Peonies in Glass Vase,   Oil on 5 "x7"   Linen Panel SOLD Private Collection in Lebanon, IN  Green Apple,   Oil on 6 "x6"   Linen Panel S OLD Private Collection in  NewCanaan, CT    This little painting is of an apple from an apple tree on our property. I've been babying it for about four years now. To my surprise, last year it finally gave apples. However, after a couple of days of seeing the tree with lots of apples adorning its branches, I took my daughter to see the little miracle, but ALL the apples were gone. She looked at me as though I was trying to pull her leg. This year, the tree was filled with even more apples. I hope they mature well so that I may share with my neighbor that's been admiring it.  Still Life with Chanel,   Oil on 5 "x7"   Linen Panel S OLD Private Collection in Pacifica, CA